A Diverse Dose of MultiCultClassics Minutes…
• Michael Jackson caused a stir when he accidentally stepped into a ladies room in a Bahrain shopping mall. The King of Pop apparently did not correctly read the sign on the door. Then again, it could also be argued that Jacko would have been wrong to enter a men’s room.
• A nephew of Rosa Parks is contesting the late civil rights icon’s will, insisting the woman suffered from dementia and was therefore incapable of making sound decisions. Sounds like a busload of legal bullshit is coming down the road.
• At the San Diego Zoo, patrons are prohibited from feeding the animals. Or riding motorized wheelchairs and scooters without first signing a waiver. A lawsuit has been filed against the zoo, charging it discriminates against people with wheelchairs. The zoo argues visitors are asked to sign waivers to prevent liability from injuries sustained by runaway wheelchairs. And you thought most injuries came from runaway lions and tigers.
• The trial involving the creators of Murder Inc. has begun, with the infamous music producers facing charges of laundering drug money. Ja Rule and Ashanti showed their support by attending the opening day. You know you’re in trouble when potential character witnesses are hip-hop stars.
• A new idea for fighting illegal immigration is getting attention — building a 2,000-mile fence on the U.S.-Mexican border. Hey, if folks are willing to swim across rivers and walk through hot-as-hell deserts, what makes anyone think they wouldn’t climb a damned fence? Plus, experts insist the costs might exceed $8 billion. Ironically, the government would probably allow undocumented workers to construct the barrier.