Thursday, July 20, 2006

Essay 836


President Bush at the NAACP Convention:

“I understand that racism still lingers in America … It’s a lot easier to change a law than to change a human heart. And I understand that many African-Americans distrust my political party.”

“I consider it a tragedy that the party of Abraham Lincoln let go of its historical ties with the African-American community … For too long, my party wrote off the African-American vote, and many African-Americans wrote off the Republican Party.”

“President Johnson called the right to vote the lifeblood of our democracy. That was true then and it remains true today.”

“I come from a family committed to civil rights … My faith tells me that we are all children of God — equally loved, equally cherished, equally entitled to the rights He grants us all.”

“For nearly 200 years, our nation failed the test of extending the blessings of liberty to African-Americans. Slavery was legal for nearly 100 years, and discrimination legal in many places for nearly 100 years more.”

1 comment:

on a lark said...

amen hajpaj. i tried to stay on the edge of it all but...
did you notice even the NAACP didn't have him on the agenda on their website? Could this be like your lyin', thievin' nephew inviting himself to the cookout without bringing anything, including the money he owes?