The Tuesday Ticker with MultiCultClassics Minutes…
• Stanley Tookie Williams was executed at 12:35 am by lethal injection. Officials allegedly had difficulty finding a vein in his muscular arm, but ultimately managed to do the deed. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger could not manage to grant clemency, as he allegedly had difficulty finding just cause. “Stanley Williams insists he is innocent, and that he will not and should not apologize or otherwise atone for the murders,” Schwarzenegger wrote. “Without an apology and atonement for these senseless and brutal killings there can be no redemption.” Hasta la vista, baby.
• Time Inc. told 105 employees their time is up. The company cuts affected all levels, including executive VPs. Probably not quite the holiday bonus folks were hoping to get. However, they are still eligible to receive twelve bonus issues with each subscription renewal.
• Ford Motor Company met with gay and lesbian organizations unhappy over the automaker’s decision to cease advertising in gay publications. No details on the results of the conference. But don’t look for the Queer Eye team to choose a Ford Explorer for their new ride anytime soon.
• Associated Press research revealed Blacks are 79 percent more likely than Whites to reside in areas where industrial pollution can make you sick. However, moving Blacks to areas where Whites reside can make people sick too.
• Of the 7.9 million immigrants to arrive in the United States since 2000, 3.7 million entered illegally. Why is it possible to count these folks, but impossible to counter them?
• Australian Prime Minister John Howard denied that the problems and riots facing his country are rooted in racism. Right, folks are just protesting the unequal distribution of Vegamite. Or the continued presence of Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin.
• President George W. Bush denied that the problems involving the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina are rooted in racism. “You can call me anything you want, but do not call me a racist,” Bush said. Wow, what an irresistible offer.