Mo’ Midweek MultiCultClassics Minutes…
• UBS, Europe’s largest bank, is being sued for discriminating against Black employees, giving them worse positions than Whites and denying promotions. Any excuses or denials from the financial organization should be deemed total (u)BS.
• Sticky Fingaz has deprived trigger fingaz after accidentally leaving his gun in a New York hotel room. A maid discovered the pistol, and authorities ultimately hit the rapper/actor with weapons possession. Mr. Fingaz hopes the charges won’t stick.
• The NBA will prohibit players from wearing sloppy clothes and too much bling at official events. Oh, now that should change the league’s image problems. Plus, the “sloppy clothes” worn by athletes like Allen Iverson is probably significantly more expensive than the gear worn by most fans — or even management.
• What causes poverty? A survey conducted by the Marguerite Casey Foundation showed poor people think they were dealt a bad hand in life, while wealthy people think it’s mostly due to lack of effort. Not sure if folks were polled regarding their thoughts on how the rich get rich. Plus, it’s sad someone didn’t consider simply taking the survey budget and donating it to the poor instead.
• According to a Newsweek report, Democrats and Republicans are accusing each other of exploiting New Orleans evacuees for political reasons. Democrats believe Republicans are hoping to reduce the state’s Democratic base by discouraging people from returning. Republicans probably insist the poor aren’t coming back mostly due to lack of effort.
• “Unfortunately, even in 2005 we still have those that would very well like to see different segments of our population locked out of the system,” said the NAACP’s Hilary Shelton, commenting on the need for the Voting Rights Act. Others insist voters are being held back mostly due to lack of effort.