Friday, October 19, 2007

Essay 4603


Just Say Nobel with a MultiCultClassics Monologue…

• Winning a Nobel Prize does not prohibit one from being stupid. James Watson (pictured above), who nabbed a Nobel Prize in 1962 for his work with DNA, sparked controversy over comments that appeared in a London newspaper interview. Watson said he’s “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really.” He also hopes everyone is equal, but “people who have to deal with Black employees find this is not true.” Watson was quick to respond to the published remarks and declared, “I am mortified about what has happened. More importantly, I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said. … I can certainly understand why people, reading those words, have reacted in the ways they have. To all those who have drawn the inference from my words that Africa, as a continent, is somehow genetically inferior, I can only apologize unreservedly. That is not what I meant. More importantly from my point of view, there is no scientific basis for such a belief.” No, ignorance and racism are more art than science.

• Mickey D’s reported 3Q earnings jumped 27 percent. Meanwhile, a new report shows most people in the U.K. could be obese by 2050, and one in four British adults are currently obese. A McCoincidence?

• Another new U.K. study showed swearing at work can “boost team morale” and develop improved social bonds. So go ahead and call your boss a fucking asshole.

No comments: