Tuesday, August 06, 2013

11330: Oprah Gains 3.5 Pounds.

From The New York Daily News…

Oprah Winfrey wears giant 3.5 pound wig on O magazine cover: ‘It feels like carrying around an extra head’

The television mogul addresses issues with hair for the September issue of O, The Oprah Magazine, candidly confessing, ‘I’m in the same boat as most every other woman.’

By Zayda Rivera / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Oprah Winfrey tackles a hairy situation in the September 2013 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine.

The cover that states, “Let’s Talk About Hair!” shows the entertainment mogul sporting a huge afro wig that reportedly weighed 3.5 pounds, according to Us Weekly.

“I wish I could say it was all mine. In fact, though, it’s borrowed. And it feels like carrying around an extra head,” Winfrey said. “My own hair is shorter, not quite so spherical, and a lot lighter. But that doesn’t mean it never gives me grief. When it comes to hair, I’m in the same boat as most every other woman.”

The 59-year-old television host said there’s one thing that all women can relate to when it comes to hair.

“We love it when it looks great, we can’t stand it when it looks not so great, and we all want it to tell the world something about us.”

The nearly 4-pound hairpiece she adorns on the magazine’s cover could very well be telling us that she has a strong head on her shoulders.

Winfrey’s longtime hair stylist, Andre Walker said “it wasn’t easy” to find the eyebrow raising wig but he eventually got the help of “The Voice” stylist Kim Kimble.

“When I told her about my predicament, she said she had created a wig I could borrow,” he recalled about the hairpiece that was delivered in bubble wrap and a custom-made, bright pink travel box to New York City June 1 for the photo shoot.

“For almost 30 years, I’ve had the luxury of a hairdresser, Andre Walker, who loves all kinds of hair textures and adores everything,” “The Butler’s” star wrote in her monthly “What I Know for Sure” column. “Hence this month’s cover; we call the wig I’m wearing Wild Thang!”

In fact, Winfrey’s longtime friend Gayle King thought it was more suited for a cartoon movie turned Broadway play.

“Can someone put on the soundtrack to ‘The Lion King?’” she joked.

But the OWN Network’s boss lady is taking it all in stride and remembered the many looks she’s done with her hair over the years.

“During the ‘Oprah’ show years, we used wigs intermittently to give my hair a break from the daily grind of styling,” she recalled. “Had Andre not had the foresight to do this, I probably wouldn’t have a single strand left today—an unthinkable state of affairs for a girl with my (no pun intended) roots.”

No comments: