Saturday, October 26, 2013

11529: Jay-Z On Barneys Bias.

From The New York Daily News…

Jay Z breaks his silence over Barneys furor, says he’s ‘no stranger to being profiled’

After days of backlash over his high-end deal with Barneys, as they face racial profiling accusations.

By Rich Schapiro / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Jay Z is finally rapping about Barneys.

Facing a backlash over his links to the under-fire department store, the superstar rapper insisted Saturday that he has remained silent until now because he’s been “waiting on facts and the outcome of a meeting between community leaders and Barneys.”

“I am against discrimination of any kind, but if I make snap judgments, no matter who it’s towards, aren’t I committing the same sin as someone who profiles?” Jay Z said in a statement. “I am no stranger to being profiled and I truly empathize with anyone that has been put in that position. Hopefully this brings forth a dialogue to effect real change.”

Jay Z drew ire after two black customers stepped forward this week accusing Barneys of racial profiling.

The Brooklyn-born rapper has a collection with Barneys scheduled to debut on Nov. 20.

“I am not making a dime from this collection; I do not stand to make millions, as falsely reported,” Jay Z said.

“Making a decision prematurely to pull out of this project, wouldn’t hurt Barneys or Shawn Carter, but all the people that stand a chance at higher education,” he added.” I have been working with my team ever since the situation was brought to my attention to get to the bottom of these incidents and at the same time find a solution that doesn’t harm all those that stand to benefit from this collaboration.”

Jay Z insisted the attacks against him are unfair.

“Why am I being demonized, denounced and thrown on the cover of a newspaper for not speaking immediately?” he said. “The negligent, erroneous reports and attacks on my character, intentions, and the spirit of this collaboration have forced me into a statement I didn’t want to make without the full facts.”

No comments: