Friday, July 14, 2006
A Bling-Free MultiCultClassics Monologue…
• Mr. T has abandoned his bling after working with Hurricane Katrina victims. “As a spiritual man, I felt it would be a sin against my God for me to wear all that gold again because I spent a lot of time with the less fortunate,” said the actor. Guess he pities the folks in New Orleans.
• Sex workers in Las Vegas staged a demonstration demanding rights and respect. The workers seek enhanced legal protection and decriminalization of prostitution. Wonder if any of the protestors carried signs reading, “We shall overcome and come again.”
• Dunkin’ Donuts is preparing for battle against Starbucks with plans to nearly double the number of stores over the next four years. The company admits that donuts are no longer its primary business, with nearly 60 percent of sales coming from coffee. Time to make the lattes.
• Naomi Campbell is in trouble again, as a third assistant has leveled charges that the supermodel beat her. The assistant filed a lawsuit against Campbell “for assault, battery, [and] intentional infliction of emotional distress.” Can’t believe someone hasn’t initiated a reality TV series yet.
• A new poll by the Pew Hispanic Center showed 54% of Hispanics think the immigration policy debates have led to an increase in discrimination against them. The number probably increases among Hispanic housekeepers who’ve worked for Naomi Campbell.