Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Essay 1271


One more comment responding to the latest Marc Brownstein perspective presented in Essay 1245…

> While I know this is a hot button issue for most and we all want to come up with revolutionary ideas that help solve these problems, what about putting support behind those solutions that are already out there? One such solution is called the MAIP internship program or Multicultural Advertising Intern Program run by AAAA. Every year this program screens, accepts and places qualified and motivated multicultural candidates into agencies all across the country. Last summer they placed about 99 interns in upwards of 20 agencies. This program is well respected, long running and successful. While most of the interns end up in New York, I spent the summer in Minneapolis, a place not known for its diversity of color; thankfully, not for its lack of trying but due in part to the lack of interest and also the weather. (I’m sure you’ve all heard about Minnesota winters.) But I digress. This program allowed me to test the waters of the advertising world, receive the support and wisdom of my peers and ultimately lead me to a career path that I’m sure I will find personal satisfaction from. Plus, it showed me that there are agencies outside New York who are worthy of looking into. A relief to me since for good or bad I don’t particularly want to work in New York (please hold the gasp of horror and looks of shock and amazement till the end, thank you). If agencies want to find diversity, here’s the place to go. Any agency big or small can be a sponsor. Campbell Mithun (the place where I interned) sponsored 8 interns, others just one. And while this program may be a bit pricy — host agencies cover a portion of living and travel expenses, plus a weekly salary for each intern — it allows individuals who might otherwise be unable to intern outside their own city to participate. After all, we want to encourage diversity of location as well as diversity of skin color. If you fill an agency with a minority group from say Chicago, won’t they have a different viewpoint than an agency filled with minorities from Arizona, Boston, Colorado and California? Programs to encourage minorities in advertising are already out there established and accepted, and while some of us might argue what the definition of a minority truly is (I myself was accused of not “being a real minority” due to my half Pilipino, half white heritage), I think that MAIP comes as close as anyone has or ever will to getting the job done. For those of you who can’t afford to be part of this program, MAIP also sends out mass email to its alumni posting job opportunities from agencies big and small. If you are truly serious about hiring minorities, this is the place to advertise it. This list includes present interns and past alumni. The program has been running for 32 years, so I imagine that’s a pretty long list. And for those of you who are wondering, I’m not on any MAIP board or Alumni commit. I don’t even work at an ad agency and have yet to leave college. I graduate in May, double major double minor. I just had a wonderful eye opening experience that solidified my desire to work in advertising. An experience I wish others could share. — Glendale, AZ

No comments: