At The Big Tent, Fernando Rodriguez typed a piece titled, “Six Things Advertisers Need To Know About the Growing Hispanic Market.” It’s a typical perspective on the value of pursuing the Latino market. Yet the article’s title—as well as recent revelations—inspired MultiCultClassics to create the following:
Ten Things the Growing Hispanic Market Needs To Know About Advertisers.
1. The overwhelming majority of advertisers do not support multicultural marketing.
2. The advertisers that do support multicultural marketing do a lousy job of it.
3. Advertisers let White advertising agencies—with a history of not hiring minorities—produce Latino-targeted campaigns.
4. Advertisers also let White advertising agencies invent Latino advertising agencies to steal work typically earmarked for real Latino advertising agencies.
5. Advertisers lazily recycle White advertising with Spanish-speaking voiceovers to target Latinos.
6. Advertisers lazily recycle French advertising to target Latinos.
7. Advertisers clumsily hijack Latino culture to create fake authenticity.
8. Advertisers force Latino advertising agencies to depict soccer and telenovelas, while White advertising agencies get to hire Sofia Vergara.
9. Advertisers think Latinas have talking vaginas.
10. Advertisers treat Latino advertising agencies like undocumented laborers.