Tuesday, April 22, 2008

5385: Exchanging Peasantries.


Peasant conversations in a MultiCultClassics Monologue…

• Colorado State Rep. Douglas Bruce sparked controversy by referring to Mexican workers as “illiterate peasants.” During a session, Bruce remarked, “I would like to have the opportunity to state at the microphone why I don’t think we need 5,000 more illiterate peasants in Colorado.” Although he was immediately shut down by his political peers, Bruce defended his statement by explaining, “I looked up ‘illiterate’ in the dictionary and it means somebody who is lacking in formal education or is unable to read and write. I don’t think these people who are planning to come over here and pick potatoes or peaches are likely to have much of a formal education. I looked up the word ‘peasant.’ The word ‘peasant’ means a person who works in agricultural fields. These people, most of them, don’t speak English. Most of them haven’t had any formal education, that’s why they’re coming over here. I don’t blame them for trying, but I don’t think we should pave the way for more aliens to come here.” Bruce needs to look up “ignorant jackass.”

• Last Sunday, Naomi Campbell spotted the Heathrow Airport cops she tussled with two weeks ago and apologized (see photo above). She’s so pleasant to the peasants, um, police.

1 comment:

on a lark said...

I looked up ‘ignorant’ on dictionary.com and it means uninformed; unaware. I looked up the word ‘jackass.’ The word ‘jackass’ means a contemptibly foolish or stupid person. The prosecution rests.