Friday, April 22, 2011

8728: Mel Gibson Is Mad To The Max.


The New York Daily News reported Mel Gibson insisted he’s “never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality—period.” Wow, this guy must be smoking whatever the racist Republican is enjoying.

Mel Gibson: ‘I’ve never treated anyone badly’ based on their gender, race, religion, or sexuality

By Shari Weiss, Daily News Staff Writer

Even though his legal problems are far from over, Mel Gibson is finally opening up about his tumultuous 2010.

“I was angry at me,” Gibson told Deadline.com contributor Allison Hope Weiner about the infamous tapes leaked via RadarOnline.com last year featuring the actor making racist, obscene and threatening comments to ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva.

While the 55-year-old said he “of course” regrets his comments, he stressed that his words need to be put “in the proper context of being in an irrationally, heated discussion at the height of a breakdown, trying to get out of a really unhealthy relationship.”

“It’s one terribly, awful moment in time, said to one person, in the span of one day,” he explained, “and doesn’t represent what I truly believe or how I’ve treated people my entire life.”

Gibson, who has repeatedly been accused of anti-Semitism, added that he’s “never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality — period.”

“I don’t blame some people for thinking that though, from the garbage they heard on those leaked tapes, which have been edited,” he said.

And, confirming reports that the movie star had no idea he was being recorded by his former love, Gibson asked, “Who could anticipate such a personal betrayal?”

“The main thing is that it was terribly humiliating and painful for my family, all my kids,” Gibson, a father of eight, added later.

The actor, who also admitted he’s become quite uncomfortable with the level of his fame, clammed up when asked specifically about keeping his relationship with Grigorieva a secret initially (after he split from his wife Robyn in 2006 after 26 years of marriage).

“It’s nobody’s business, my separation, my divorce, any of that stuff. It’s out there, okay, so it happened,” he added later in the interview. “As to the details, I have precious little to keep to myself. And if I can even hold on to even painful things for myself, so be it.”

And when prodded for specifics about the leaked phone conversations, Gibson repeatedly stated that he couldn’t discuss it since “there are all sorts of legal things pending.”

Still, he pointed out, “Everybody has a dog in the fight but me, oddly enough.”

“I haven’t got a lawsuit out on anyone because I think it’s extremely … You have to think about your children,” he said, adding “There are a lot of delicate and sensitive issues and I don’t want to be the cause of grief to any of my children or to friends or family or associates on either side because it’s a matter that should be dealt with.”

But the “Bravehart” star did address his March no contest plea to a misdemeanor battery charge for allegedly striking Grigorieva while she held their daughter. Gibson was sentenced to three years probation, a year of mandatory counseling, 16 hours of community service and fines.

“I was allowed to end the case and still maintain my innocence. It’s called a West plea and it’s not something that prosecutors normally allow. But in my case, the prosecutors and the judge agreed that it was the right thing to do,” he said.

“I could have continued to fight this for years and it probably would have come out fine. But I ended it for my children and my family,” he continued. “This was going to be such a circus. You don’t drag other people in your life through this sewer needlessly, so I’ll take the hit and move on.”

Lucia has remained “blissfully unaware” of the traumatic events of the last year, Gibson said, but admitted he realizes he may have to “address” it with her when she’s older.

Gibson said he’s particularly grateful to have such a young child at his age.

“The whole journey of discovery again and having a different perspective now. It’s different. You learn,” he said. “I mean, I have a daughter who is 30 and I have a daughter who is 18 months. And the 18 month is getting 30 years of benefit.”

No comments: