Wednesday, July 23, 2008
5735: Wednesday Evening News.
Headlines and pick-up lines in a MultiCultClassics Monologue…
• CBS Evening News anchor Katie Couric declared sexism is more common and tolerated than racism. Couric said, “I find myself in the last bastion of male dominance, and realizing what Hillary Clinton might have realized not long ago: Sexism in the American society is more common than racism, and certainly more acceptable or forgivable.” The last bastion of male dominance? Hasn’t the women ever heard of Madison Avenue?
• Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is now facing charges of exchanging romantic text messages with more women—besides his wife and former chief of staff. Wonder if Katie Couric is in his Fave 5.
• After federal charges surrounding his finances were dropped, Rev. Al Sharpton declared, “I have learned that everybody is not necessarily out to get you. And, I hope [prosecutors] have learned that everybody who questions the system is not trying to beat the system.” None of those lessons apply to Kwame Kilpatrick.
• A former Georgia state employee filed a federal lawsuit claiming she was axed because she announced she would come to work dressed as a female in preparation for a sex-change procedure to transform from man to woman. Sounds like a case of “He Said, She Said.”
• United Airlines announced plans to dump 7,000 employees and cut flights. Yahoo’s 2Q profits dropped 18 percent. Boeing’s 2Q profits fell 19 percent. Mickey D’s 2Q revenue jumped 4 percent. Pepsi poured a 9 percent 2Q profit boost. AT&T’s 2Q profits soared 30 percent. Look for United, Boeing and Yahoo to offer iPhones to every customer.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment